List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Stassen Date:June 26 2004 3:37pm
Subject:Re: basic information on setting up a mysql db for remote access...
View as plain text
You should start with section 5.4, "The MySQL Access Privilege System," in
the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Privilege_system.html>.  It
details limiting access as you describe.

Michael

bruce wrote:

> hi...
>
> i'm trying to get a better understanding of how i can create/use mysql for
> an app i'm working on. i have a number of servers running perl apps... i
> want to be able to create a database on a client (database) box, and have
> the other apps communicate with this database server/mysql box.
>
> i'm trying to get an understanding as to what steps are required to setup
> mysql for remote access. also what has to be done regarding security for the
> mysql on the server, to allow the other client apps on the remote machines
> to communicate with the mysql database.
>
> i'm also trying to get a feel for what has to occur in the client app to
> communicate with the mysql app. i'm assuming that if mysql is setup
> properly, then i should be able to simply "point" my client app to it via
> user/passwd/ip/port and it should establish a connection...
>
> is there a way to have the mysql database that i'm creating for my test app
> to only "allow" certain machines/ip addresses to have certain functions. can
> i also restrict the types of functions for the database, based on userID...
>
> i've seen a few articles, but nothing that's really gotten down to the
> here's how you do it process...
>
> i'm trying to get to the step 1, step 2, step 3, etc....
>
> i already realize that if i screw this up..i might get locked out of the
> database...!!!
>
> thanks for any pointers/comments/criticisms/etc...
>
> -bruce

Thread
insert into text fieldNitin26 Jun
  • Re: insert into text field [Solved]Nitin26 Jun
    • basic information on setting up a mysql db for remote access...bruce26 Jun
      • Re: basic information on setting up a mysql db for remote access...Michael Stassen26 Jun
    • Re: insert into text field [Solved]Michael Stassen26 Jun
  • Re: insert into text fieldEric Bergen27 Jun