List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Frank Bax Date:June 24 2004 2:55am
Subject:Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?
View as plain text
At 03:29 PM 6/23/04, Eamon Daly wrote:
>Which do you folks think is faster: randomly accessing a
>table with a primary key and a dozen CHAR columns or a table
>with a primary key and a single merged TEXT column? The data
>in the 11 extra columns will always be fetched as a single
>request.

Both the same - with extremely minor variance.

>I rolled my own benchmarking program and 10,000 runs each
>came out just about equal, which surprised me a little.

Wow.  I'm right - what's the prize?

Thread
Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Eamon Daly23 Jun
  • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Dan Nelson23 Jun
  • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Frank Bax24 Jun
    • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Eamon Daly24 Jun
      • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Eric Bergen24 Jun