List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alejandro Heyworth Date:June 23 2004 8:09pm
Subject:Re: INDEX DESC
View as plain text
 >I don't see any relationship between your two sentences?
Thanks for the responses.

I guess I was not clear enough in my last post.

You can define an index to sort values in a particular order...  ASC is the
default.
DESC is an option, but it is not implemented yet.  I want to know when it
will be implemented.

I would like the values in my table to be stored in DESC order.

For example, I want to read ranges of values from my db in the opposite
order of how they are currently being indexed without using an extra ORDER
BY in my select. This ORDER BY forces an internal sort to put the result
set in DESC order which slows my SELECT.

Currently, if I insert integer values into a table with an index ASC (or
DESC) on the INT column , a general SELECT will return the values in
ascending order.
1 2 3 4 5

I want to naturally store the data as:
5 4 3 2 1
without adding an ORDER BY int_col DESC

It would make a world of difference to our app since we are dealing with
huge ranges of joint compression information that need to be read out
sequentially.

I hope this is clearer.

So, does anyone know when it will be implemented?

Thread
INDEX DESCAlejandro Heyworth23 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCPaul DuBois23 Jun
    • Re: INDEX DESCMichael Stassen23 Jun
      • Re: INDEX DESCPaul DuBois24 Jun
      • Re: INDEX DESCRobert A. Rosenberg28 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCJeremy Zawodny23 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCgerald_clark23 Jun
    • Re: INDEX DESCJeremy Zawodny23 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCgerald_clark23 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCMatt W23 Jun
    • Re: INDEX DESCMichael Stassen24 Jun
      • Re: INDEX DESCJochem van Dieten24 Jun
        • Re: INDEX DESCMichael Stassen24 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCMatt W24 Jun
Re: INDEX DESCAlejandro Heyworth23 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCgerald_clark23 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCMichael Stassen23 Jun
    • Re: INDEX DESCRobert A. Rosenberg28 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCKeith Ivey24 Jun
  • Re: INDEX DESCPaul DuBois24 Jun
Re: INDEX DESCSGreen23 Jun
RE: INDEX DESCJohn McCaskey23 Jun