List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eamon Daly Date:June 23 2004 7:29pm
Subject:Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?
View as plain text
Which do you folks think is faster: randomly accessing a
table with a primary key and a dozen CHAR columns or a table
with a primary key and a single merged TEXT column? The data
in the 11 extra columns will always be fetched as a single
request.

I rolled my own benchmarking program and 10,000 runs each
came out just about equal, which surprised me a little.

Eamon Daly

Thread
Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Eamon Daly23 Jun
  • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Dan Nelson23 Jun
  • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Frank Bax24 Jun
    • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Eamon Daly24 Jun
      • Re: Fetching 12 columns or 1 TEXT field?Eric Bergen24 Jun