List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:October 22 1999 5:27pm
Subject:Re: Mysql SYNTAX manual built in
View as plain text
In the last episode (Oct 22), Scott Hess said:
> It might be as easy as providing a table (virtual or real) with the
> various help items in it.  'select command from mysql.syntax' to get
> the list of commands, 'select usage from mysql.syntax where
> command="grant"', etc.  Of course, much like many other commands,
> that could be wrapped in sugar, so you'd say 'help' for the first
> query, and 'help grant' for the second query.  I'd lean towards a
> virtual table (by "virtual", I mean like how "show processlist"
> returns a table that doesn't exist on disk), because a real table
> might fall prey to version mismatches.

This is how Oracle's sql*plus help works.  version mismatches shouldn't
be a problem; as part of the "make install" process, simply reload the
help table.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
    • Re: Mysql SYNTAX manual built insinisa22 Oct
  • Re: Mysql SYNTAX manual built inScott Hess22 Oct
    • Re: Mysql SYNTAX manual built insinisa22 Oct
RE: MySQL SYNTAX manual built inDamien Silveira22 Oct
  • RE: MySQL SYNTAX manual built insinisa22 Oct
    • Re: MySQL SYNTAX manual built inBenjamin Pflugmann25 Oct
      • Re: MySQL SYNTAX manual built insinisa25 Oct