List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:fr0g Date:May 28 2004 7:31am
Subject:Re: Duplicate does not exist
View as plain text
I don't see how this mail helps me.
I still don't know why it sais I have a duplicate record and still don't
know how to correct this.
Those were nice stories, but not really helpfull.
In my table every record has a uinque id which ofcourse is the key.
Yet, the only way I can avoid duplicates is to define as unique the pair
of name & surname.
Are there any ideas why I get this duplicate error?

Robert J Taylor wrote:

> fr0g wrote:
>
>> Good evening all.
>>
>> I'm facing a problem with a specific table and the uniques that it has.
>> I have a table, hosting data of peoples names.
>> Some of it's columns are, name_english, surname_english,
>> name_original, surname_original, name_greek, surname_greek.
>> I have as unique each combination of columns of the same language
>> (i.e. name_english, surname_english, unique, etc).
>

> As I am "Robert James Taylor" I can give anecdotal evidence that full
> name does by no means make a good candidate key for a database of any
> population larger than...say....George Foreman's immediate family (he
> named all his boys the exact same name, if you didn't catch the
> reference). More than once I have entered confusing periods of
> mis-identification due to database designers relying on name alone to
> match people.
>
> In fact, a short tale that is true. I moved from one West  Coast state
> to another in 1998 and was denied a drivers license after passing the
> tests will flying colors because I had "a DUI conviction" in an East
> Coast state. The other Robert James Taylor, who was born the same year
> and day I was, fortunately had a different Social Security Number
> (which is not a panacea either...but I digress). This may sound
> far-fetched and unlikely to happen again but it was real, scary and
> made me curse database designers at the DMV.
>
> Please don't do that.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Robert James Taylor
> West Coast and Sober
> robert@stripped

Thread
Duplicate does not existfr0g27 May
  • Re: Duplicate does not existRobert J Taylor27 May
    • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May
      • Re: Duplicate does not existScott Haneda28 May
        • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May
    • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May
      • Re: Duplicate does not existEgor Egorov28 May
        • Re: Duplicate does not existfr0g28 May