List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Colin Bull Date:May 27 2004 7:42am
Subject:Re: Foreign Key Constraints
View as plain text
kyuubi@stripped wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to use the foreign key constraints from InnoDB
>and creating indexes is a requirement for foreign key.
>The problem is that by creating index for my foreign key,
>it does not allow my foreign key to have null or blank values which my records will
> have.
>For eg. a BorrowerID is a foreign key on a Book table, but when the book is not
> borrowed,
>the BorrowerID will be null and I can't seem to import the data containing null values
> for the foreign key.
>Is there a way to solve this?
>Thanks.

I think you have missed the point of a foreign key constraint. It is to
ensure referential integrity. A constraint stops you doing things, ie
entering a value that does not exist in another table.

Or create a borrower called NO-ONE and always change the borrower to
this when a book is returned.

Or just use an outer join on an indexed field when doing reports is
easiest and no constraint.

Colin Bull
Thread
Foreign Key Constraintskyuubi27 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsJeff Smelser27 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsColin Bull27 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsRobert J Taylor27 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMartijn Tonies27 May
    • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsJeff Smelser27 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMartijn Tonies27 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMartijn Tonies28 May
    • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsJeff Smelser28 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMartijn Tonies28 May
    • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMichael Stassen28 May
      • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMichael Stassen28 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMartijn Tonies28 May
    • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsJeff Smelser28 May
    • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsJeff Smelser28 May
  • Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsMartijn Tonies28 May
Re: Foreign Key ConstraintsSGreen27 May