List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:May 21 2004 7:54pm
Subject:Re: mysqld sock conflicts
View as plain text
Greg Willits wrote:
> On May 20, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Sasha Pachev wrote:
>
>> Greg Willits wrote:
>>
>>> I have two mysql apps running on the same machine (OS X 10.3.3). A
>>> mysql 3.23.54 on port 14551, and a mysql 4.0.16 on 3306. Each has a
>>> config file specifying the port and a unique socket name in /tmp.
>>> They have coexisted just peachy for a very long time.
>>> Now however, w/o any changes to either MySQL3, MySQL4, or the OS,
>>> every time I issue a terminal command to one of the MySQL3 bin apps
>>> preceded by the usual cd /x/y/z/bin, the commands are being sent to
>>> the /usr/local/mysql bin apps on 3306. If I shut mysqld 3306 down
>>> (which closes the sock file), then any commands to mysql 14551 gripes
>>> that there is no socket file even though the one it should be using
>>> is still available.
>>

>> Do not worry about why it stopped working - it was not supposed to
>> anyway, and if it did, it was pure luck :-)
>

> I was lucky for over two years across several machines then. I think
> that may be my best streak of anything ever. Too bad there was no money
> involved! ;-)
>
>> A clean way to solve the problem would be to create small shell
>> scripts called mysql-3 and mysql-4 that will connect to the right
>> instance.
>

> I've started that process, though I'm not much of a shell scripter yet.
> So it's time to dig in or  get used to specifying the socket I guess.
> OK. Well, at least I know.

Greg:

You do not need to be much of a shell scripter - it is just one line for each
script:

put in /usr/local/bin/mysql-3:

------------start-----------
#! /bin/sh

mysql --socket=/tmp/mysql-3.sock
------------end---------------

put in /usr/local/bin/mysql-4:

--------------start----------
#! /bin/sh

mysql --socket=/tmp/mysql-4.sock

Make sure to exclude the ---- start/end marker lines when you paste, and fix the
socket path if I guessed it wrong, if this is not obvious

Execute

chmod +x /usr/local/bin/mysql-3
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/mysql-4

Job done!