List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Greg Willits Date:May 19 2004 6:25pm
Subject:mysqld sock conflicts
View as plain text
I have two mysql apps running on the same machine (OS X 10.3.3). A
mysql 3.23.54 on port 14551, and a mysql 4.0.16 on 3306. Each has a
config file specifying the port and a unique socket name in /tmp. They
have coexisted just peachy for a very long time.

Now however, w/o any changes to either MySQL3, MySQL4, or the OS, every
time I issue a terminal command to one of the MySQL3 bin apps preceded
by the usual cd /x/y/z/bin, the commands are being sent to the
/usr/local/mysql bin apps on 3306. If I shut mysqld 3306 down (which
closes the sock file), then any commands to mysql 14551 gripes that
there is no socket file even though the one it should be using is still
available.

Removing and reinstalling both mysql's (now I have 4.0.18) does not fix
it. Each does in fact create its own sock file in /tmp, and each mysqld
server runs just fine. I can manually specify the --socket for the
14551 bin apps and they'll work, but I've used mysql3 and mysql4 side
by side since one of the later 4.0 betas and I've never had to specify
the socket when launching any of the mysql3 utils.

There has to be some other kind of socket related config file somewhere
that has something to do with this? I have no idea what could have
changed "all of a sudden" and "on its own."

Thanks for any clues.

-- greg willits

Thread
mysqld sock conflictsGreg Willits19 May
  • Re: mysqld sock conflictsSasha Pachev20 May
    • Re: mysqld sock conflictsGreg Willits20 May
      • Re: mysqld sock conflictsSasha Pachev21 May
        • Re: mysqld sock conflictsGreg Willits21 May
          • Re: mysqld sock conflictsSasha Pachev21 May