List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert A. Rosenberg Date:May 19 2004 5:11pm
Subject:Re: Running more than one level of MySQL
View as plain text
At 15:09 -0500 on 05/18/2004, Paul DuBois wrote about Re: Running
more than one level of MySQL:

>At 15:46 -0400 5/18/04, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>>I have a site that is being hosted by an ISP which is running
>>version 3.23.52. When I questioned why that downlevel version and
>>not a 4.0 version (such as 4.0.18 or the just released 4.0.20), I
>>was told "Unfortunately, when versions change on MySQL, they also
>>drop features and change security settings. This can cause many
>>problems system wide." Before I go further with my discussion and
>>renew my request for a 4.0 Database, I would like to know if it is
>>even possible to have more than one level active (and if so, what
>>is involved in the set-up).
>
>It's perfectly possible.  I have dozens of versions installed, though not
>all necessarily running at the same time. :-)
>
>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Multiple_servers.html

Thank you for your reply. I am passing it on to the ISP in the hope
that they will use it to provide an option to offer current level
support to those who need/want it (by just adding the new port number
to the Host Name in MySQL connection request).

I have one suggestion to be added to the base code to assist in
running multiple levels - Allow the --port=port_number parameter to
take a list as opposed to only one number (so the server monitors
more than one port and treats them as if they were the same). This
would allow a migration to the newer versions to proceed by having
the base port number as well as the alternate one be available for
the use after the migration while those who were using the alternate
port number in their calls are removing the number so as to again use
the standard port number. Initially, the downlevel version would have
ownership of the standard port as well as a private port (for those
who do not want to be migrated after the move) which would be
reassigned on "Roll Day" to the newer version. The alternate port
could then be scheduled to be removed after a period of time to allow
for its removal from the Host Name calls by those who were using the
newer version prior to the Roll.
Thread
Running more than one level of MySQLRobert A. Rosenberg18 May
  • Re: Running more than one level of MySQLPaul DuBois18 May
    • Re: Running more than one level of MySQLRobert A. Rosenberg19 May
      • Re: Running more than one level of MySQLDan Nelson19 May
Re: Running more than one level of MySQLBen Ricker18 May