List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tim Cutts Date:May 13 2004 3:10pm
Subject:Re: InnoDB filesystem
View as plain text
On 13 May 2004, at 3:34 pm, Dan Nelson wrote:

>>> Pros: performance and bypassing the filesystem cache.
>
> I believe most OSes support direct file access which either bypasses or
> minimizes cache effects, and InnoDB will enable it if possible.
> Solaris direct file I/O performance on UFS is within a couple percent
> of raw partitions, for example.

This is all very well, but on some systems, surely the OS filesystem
cache is a bonus, not a hindrance.  Take for example a four-way X86
system with 16 GB RAM.  I've seen people talk about such machines on
this list.

MySQL can't use all that memory itself, so it makes sense to allow the
OS to cache as much disk space as possible in the memory that MySQL
can't use directly?

Tim

Thread
InnoDB filesystemJFL13 May
  • Re: InnoDB filesystemJeremy Zawodny13 May
    • Re: InnoDB filesystemJFL13 May
      • Re: InnoDB filesystemDan Nelson13 May
        • Re: InnoDB filesystemTim Cutts13 May
          • RE: InnoDB filesystemDathan Vance Pattishall14 May
            • Re: InnoDB filesystemJeremy Zawodny14 May
              • RE: InnoDB filesystemDathan Vance Pattishall14 May
                • Re: InnoDB filesystemTim Cutts14 May
              • Re: InnoDB filesystemChris Nolan14 May
                • Re: InnoDB filesystemJeremy Zawodny14 May