List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:May 13 2004 2:34pm
Subject:Re: InnoDB filesystem
View as plain text
In the last episode (May 13), JFL said:
> >>I've been told that InnoDB on a raw partition is the fastest setup.
> >
> >Actually, you've been told that it's probably the fastest.
>
> Correct. Sorry :)
>
> >Check the InnoDB docs.  They explain how to setup raw disk
> >partitions.  You'll be using device names, not mount points.
>
> Thanks. I forgot to check the manual.
>
> >>Any other tips, pros and cons?
> >
> >Pros: performance and bypassing the filesystem cache.

I believe most OSes support direct file access which either bypasses or
minimizes cache effects, and InnoDB will enable it if possible.
Solaris direct file I/O performance on UFS is within a couple percent
of raw partitions, for example.

> >Cons: loss of transparency and limited backup options.
>
> What do you mean by transparency?

If you decide you need more space, you won't be able to simply extend
the tablespace file; you'll need to either add another disk or resize
your existing filesystems to free up space for another raw partition.

And for backup, you'll either have to manually dd the data off the
partition, or use mysqldump (or InnoDB hot backup) , since backup
software will simply back up the device node without trying to read its
contents.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped