List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:kc68 Date:May 12 2004 10:13pm
Subject:Re: Sorting Varchar
View as plain text
That didn't do it.  I got 0,0,1050,1168,1195, 1975, 150,155,16500,170,178.
. .  The non-numerics came out last (which I want).  There are two zeros
but no negative numbers.  Any alternatives?

Ken

******
On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:47:11 -0400, Bill Easton <bill_easton@stripped>
wrote:

> You could also use "order by cost+0,cost".  This puts the non-numerics
> first, then the numerics in numerical order.  (You'd need to get fancier
> if there are non-numerics starting with a digit or numerics <= 0.)
>
>> From: Sasha Pachev <sasha@stripped>
>>
>> kc68@stripped wrote:
>> > How do I set up a column (cost) that contains numbers and text so that
>> > the numbers will sort the numbers accurately?  Using varchar results
>> in
>> > a sort based on the first digit, so that I get e.g. 1, 10, 100, 3. . .
>> > when the command is "order by cost." Almost all of the text is "By
> County."
>>
>> Ken:
>>
>> Consider having two columns - num_val, and text_val, and then order by
> num_val,
>> text_val
>>
>> --
>> Sasha Pachev
>> Create online surveys at http://www.surveyz.com/

Thread
Sorting Varcharkc6812 May
  • Re: Sorting VarcharSasha Pachev12 May
Re: Sorting Varcharkc6812 May
Re: Sorting VarcharBill Easton13 May
  • RE: Sorting VarcharErich Beyrent13 May
  • Re: Sorting Varcharkc6813 May