List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:May 4 2004 10:42pm
Subject:Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from strings
View as plain text
In the last episode (May 04), Steve Pugh said:
> Hello all, once again!  Can anyone tell me why the following takes
> place?  In my VB app I am adding records to the table "Jobs" with
> this code (trimmed way down - my actual INSERT statement populates
> about 20 fields):
>
> sqlstr = "INSERT INTO Jobs VALUES(" & _
>         Chr(34) & txtSceneFile & Chr(34) & ")"
>
> adocn.execute sqlstr
>
> Now, let's say that my txtSceneFile contains
> "C:\Data\test\foo\bar.lws".  My Jobs table will show the following
> for the applicable data field: "C: Data".  This, my frields, is a new
> one to me, to be sure!  Any ideas?

You need to escape all quotes, apostrophes, and backslashes, or use
bind variables and let ODBC handle the escaping for you.  Consider what
happens with a filename like

C:\temp\My "filename"'s got quotes in it.doc

See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/String_syntax.html for more info.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
        • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsSteve Pugh5 May
          • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsDaniel Clark5 May
            • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsSteve Pugh5 May
              • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsDaniel Clark5 May
        • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsDaniel Clark5 May
    • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsDan Nelson5 May
      • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsSteve Pugh5 May
  • Re: "INSERT INTO" dropping slashes from stringsLou Olsten8 May
Re: Multiple SELECTs in one queryUdikarni12 Apr
  • Re: Multiple SELECTs in one querySteve Pugh14 Apr
  • Re: Multiple SELECTs in one queryHarald Fuchs14 Apr
Re: Multiple SELECTs in one queryUdikarni14 Apr
  • Re: Multiple SELECTs in one queryMichael Stassen14 Apr