List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Anders Karlsson Date:May 3 2004 8:16pm
Subject:Re: urban myth?
View as plain text
Also, I'd say that it depends on what you mean by "row". If you mean the
same physical data as
was previously displayed, then they probably WILL come back in the same
order, but there
are no guarantees (a dataset is always unordered, unless something else
is specified).

But on the other hand, if by row, we mean "the same unique data", well
then it might change as someone
else might delete a row, and then someone else again might insert the
same unique data. Same data, but
a different physical row. In this case, data will certainly come back in
a different order, and if you only
look at, say, the unique identifier to determine row position, then the
row might well have changed it's
position within the row, fact is, it is much more likely that it has!

Finally, a quote from Chris Date, as read in "Relatuional databases -
Selected writings", rom the
section entitled "Relational Database: An overview": "If the entire
ORDER BY clause is omitted, the result appears in
unpredictable order" and "A table is an unordered set of rows". And as
the result of a SELECT is
also considered a relation (or a table), this latter quote applies too.

/Karlsson

--
    __  ___     ___ ____  __
   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /  Anders Karlsson (anders@stripped)

Thread
Create table results in (errno: 121)Tom Brown22 Apr
  • Re: Create table results in (errno: 121)Martijn Tonies22 Apr
  • Re: Create table results in (errno: 121)Tom Brown22 Apr
  • Re: Create table results in (errno: 121)Adam28 Apr
    • urban myth?Boyd E. Hemphill3 May
      • Re: urban myth?Peter J Milanese3 May
      • Re: urban myth?Daniel Clark3 May
      • Re: urban myth?Garth Webb3 May
        • Re: urban myth?Bob Ramsey3 May
          • Re: urban myth?Josh Trutwin3 May
          • Re: urban myth?Garth Webb3 May
          • Re: urban myth?Michael Stassen3 May
            • RE: urban myth?Boyd E. Hemphill3 May
              • Re: urban myth?Anders Karlsson3 May
              • Re: urban myth?Michael T. Babcock13 May
      • Re: urban myth?Josh Trutwin3 May
      • Re: urban myth?Jeremy Zawodny3 May
      • Re: urban myth?gerald_clark3 May
        • Re: urban myth?Peter J Milanese3 May
Re: Create table results in (errno: 121)beacker22 Apr
RE: urban myth?Mike Johnson3 May
Re: urban myth?Udikarni3 May