List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:The masked marvel Date:May 1 2004 11:52pm
Subject:Accessing DBMS remotely: MySQL? FireBird?
View as plain text
Hi,

Some of our customers have remote offices. I was wondering if it'd be safe
to have a DBMS running at their central office, and have our client
application running on hosts in the branches connect to it through a VPN
via the Net?

What happens if the connection goes south while a branch office was making
changes? Does the DBMS just rollbacks changes automatically after a time-out?

Should we set up some kind of replication instead?

Also, are there compeling reasons to go for Firebird instead of MySQL? I
don't know enough about the capabilities of each DBMS today to make an
educated choice.

Thank you for any tip
Fred.

Thread
Accessing DBMS remotely: MySQL? FireBird?The masked marvel2 May
  • Re: Accessing DBMS remotely: MySQL? FireBird?Martijn Tonies3 May
  • Re: Accessing DBMS remotely: MySQL? FireBird?David Griffiths4 May
Re: Accessing DBMS remotely: MySQL? FireBird?The masked marvel5 May
  • Re: Accessing DBMS remotely: MySQL? FireBird?Martijn Tonies5 May