List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 30 2004 12:37am
Subject:Re: Creating Users and Passwords
View as plain text
At 16:21 -0500 4/29/04, Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Apr 29), Lou Olsten said:
>>  I thought I had a handle on this, but now I'm all screwed up.
>>
>>  MySQL 4.1.1a-alpha-max-debug-log
>>  Windows 2000 Server
>>
>>  I'm trying to create a user roby with a password of 'foo' with
>>access to everything.  Here's what happens:
>>
>>  - Sign in as root on the local host.
>>  - GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO roby@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo' WITH
>>GRANT OPTION;
>>  - On same machine, try to login with: mysql -u roby -pfoo -h localhost
>>  - Receive: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user:
>>'roby'@'localhost' (Using password: YES)
>
>Remember that localhost is a special keyword that refers to the
>unix-domain socket, and will not be matched with a wildcard '%' hostname.

Oh?

More likely the symptoms are due to not having deleted the anonymous-user
accounts.  One of those accounts has a hostname of 'localhost', which is
more specific than '%', and hostname matching happens before username
matching.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Connection_access.html

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team