List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lou Olsten Date:April 29 2004 8:42pm
Subject:Creating Users and Passwords
View as plain text
I thought I had a handle on this, but now I'm all screwed up.

MySQL 4.1.1a-alpha-max-debug-log
Windows 2000 Server

I'm trying to create a user roby with a password of 'foo' with access to everything.
Here's what happens:

- Sign in as root on the local host.
- GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO roby@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'foo' WITH GRANT OPTION;
- On same machine, try to login with: mysql -u roby -pfoo -h localhost
- Receive: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user: 'roby'@'localhost' (Using password:
YES)

I'm wondering why that doesn't work, but here's where I get REALLY confused.  I can then
sign in with NO PASSWORD and get into the system:

- mysql -u roby
Your MySQL connection id is 44 to server version: 4.1.1a-alpha-max-debug-log

mysql>

Moreoever... there is no entry for roby in the mysql.db database, which I thought was
supposed to happen when I granted everything.

I then issued:

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR roby = PASSWORD('foo');
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
mysql> flush privileges;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.10 sec)

But still received:

C:\mysql\bin>mysql -u roby -pfoo
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user: 'roby'@'localhost' (Using password: YES)

Any help is appreciated!

Lou
Thread
Creating Users and PasswordsLou Olsten29 Apr
  • Re: Creating Users and PasswordsDan Nelson29 Apr
    • Re: Creating Users and PasswordsPaul DuBois30 Apr
    • Re: Creating Users and PasswordsMichael Stassen30 Apr
  • Re: Creating Users and PasswordsLou Olsten29 Apr
  • Re: Creating Users and PasswordsMichael Stassen30 Apr
  • Re: Creating Users and PasswordsLou Olsten30 Apr
Re: Creating Users and PasswordsTbird67ForSale29 Apr
Re: Creating Users and PasswordsTbird67ForSale29 Apr