List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Erich Beyrent Date:April 22 2004 1:50pm
Subject:question about searches
View as plain text
Hi all,

This is probably a dumb question...

I am in the planning stages for a database project, where I will need to
store a bunch of documents in both PDF and MS Word format.  Assuming that
the documents are stored as binary in the database, suppose I want to be
able to search the database for text that is included in these documents.

Is there any way to do text searches on the contents of binary data in the
database, or do I have to implement something like a Keywords field and a
Description field containing specific words or phrases that are in the
stored document, and do a full text search against that?

This is probably the most obvious answer, but I wasn't sure if there was a
mechanism for searching directly in the files.

Thanks!

-Erich-

Thread
question about searchesErich Beyrent22 Apr
  • Re: question about searchesYayati Kasralikar22 Apr
  • Re: question about searchesThomas Spahni26 Apr