List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:March 13 1999 3:53pm
Subject:Re: Moving MySQL from one Linux Box to another
View as plain text
Jochen Haeberle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just read in the manual 4.16.3 Upgrading to another architecture
> and will try the tips there to move my development MySQL to a new
> production server. But I thought I could just copy all the database
> files from one Linux-Box to another and use the exactly same
> databases, users and data.
>
> I mounted the dev-server via nfs (rw) as root and tried to copy the
> /var/mysql (cp -ar) most things went well, but several (not all)
> files from the mysql subdir could not be copied with a permission
> denied error. I shut mysql down with no difference.
>
> Is it possible to easily duplicate a MySQL-Installation from one
> Intel-Linux to another keeping all data and users the same?
>
> Thanks in advance for helping a newbie (probably this is to be
> considered OT, as I probably just was unable to just use Unix
> correctly :-( )
>
> Jochen

Jochen,
Nothing beats good old fashioned tar and ftp.
On old machine:
cd /usr/local/var
tar cvf /tmp/mydb.tar mydb
(or sudo tar if permissions is a problem, which it shouldn't be)
On new machine:
ftp -i -v oldmachine
uname
pword
cd /tmp
bin
get mydb.tar
by
cd /usr/local/var
tar xvf mydb.tar

Done.
Van

Linux rocks!!!   www.dedserius.com

Moving MySQL from one Linux Box to anotherJochen Haeberle12 Mar
  • Re: Moving MySQL from one Linux Box to anotherVan13 Mar
  • Re: New version of mysqlguiRick Pasotto27 Dec
    • Re: New version of mysqlguiSinisa Milivojevic28 Dec
      • Re: New version of mysqlguiRick Pasotto28 Dec
        • Re: New version of mysqlguiSinisa Milivojevic28 Dec
          • Re: New version of mysqlguiRick Pasotto28 Dec
        • ERD Softwarerui28 Dec