List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Victor Pendleton Date:April 16 2004 5:35pm
Subject:RE: rename database
View as plain text
Thanks for the information.

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul DuBois
To: Victor Pendleton; '''Chen, Jenny ' ' '; ''''mysql@stripped' ' ' '
Sent: 4/16/04 11:18 AM

At 11:03 -0500 4/16/04, Victor Pendleton wrote:
>Paul,
>Do you know if there will be an
>ALTER DATABASE RENAME curName TO newName
>implementation?

I don't know.  I agree it would be nice, though somewhat tricky.

One workaround is to use mysqldump to dump the database, create the new
database, reload the dump file into the new database, then drop the old
database.  That is, in effect, a database rename, although (I suspect)
it can cause problems if you have foreign key relationships that refer
to the table names in the original database.

Another approach is to create the new database, and then, for each
table in the original database, use RENAME TABLE orig_db.t TO new_db.t
to move the table from one database to the other.  Then drop the old
database.

Thread
rename databaseJenny Chen16 Apr
RE: rename databaseVictor Pendleton16 Apr
  • RE: rename databasePaul DuBois16 Apr
RE: rename databaseJenny Chen16 Apr