List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ruslan U. Zakirov Date:April 14 2004 3:47pm
Subject:Re: NOT NULL column behaves strangely
View as plain text
Keith C. Ivey wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2004 at 17:27, B. Fongo wrote:
>

>>I expected a warning because of the Token column shouldn't be NULL!
>

> It's not NULL.  It's the empty string, which is the default value,
> since you didn't give it a specific default value.  See the "CREATE
> TABLE" documentation:
>
>     If no DEFAULT value is specified for a column, MySQL
>     automatically assigns one, as follows. If the column can
>     take NULL as a value, the default value is NULL. If the
>     column is declared as NOT NULL, the default value depends on
>     the column type:
>     [...]
>     * For string types other than ENUM, the default value is the
>     empty string.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_TABLE.html

I didn't know this too I expect correct behavior: error.
So if I want error on such INSERTs I must use 'IS NOT NULL default NULL'?

			Best regards. Ruslan.
Thread
NOT NULL column behaves strangelyB. Fongo14 Apr
  • Re: NOT NULL column behaves strangelyKeith C. Ivey14 Apr
    • Re: NOT NULL column behaves strangelyRuslan U. Zakirov14 Apr
      • Re: NOT NULL column behaves strangelyMichael Stassen14 Apr
        • AW: NOT NULL column behaves strangelyB. Fongo14 Apr
  • Re: NOT NULL column behaves strangelyMartijn Tonies14 Apr
    • AW: NOT NULL column behaves strangelyB. Fongo14 Apr