List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alan Williamson Date:April 6 2004 9:57pm
Subject:Re: MySQL on Linux
View as plain text
Thank you, a much reasoned and sensible reply.

This is information people can use, as oppose to the posts that 'say
well its okay for me, you must be stupid' types.

;)

Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Apr 06), Alan Williamson said:
>
>>>the most popular would have been Red Hat, which doesn't have this
>>>limit you speak of, even plain vanilla install (no twiddling
>>>needed).
>>
>>Not to spoil a perfectly good pontification ... but i have to say
>>that we have a Redhat8 distribution running on a Dell PowerEdge
>>Server and when Apache gets to the 2GB size on its access file, it
>>does indeed stop.  This is not old hardware (12months old).
>

> That is because although Linux binaries can access files over 2gb, they
> do not do so by default.  Apache was probably not compiled with the
> required defines (-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64), so
> that's why it stops at 2gb even though both the kernel and filesystem
> most likely do support larger files.
>

>>So the question still remains.  What would happen in MySQL when that
>>file isn't allowed to grow any further?
>

> Mysql's configure script checks for systems that require special flags
> to access large files, so no mysql binaries should have this problem on
> modern Linux systems (i.e. any 2.4 kernel)

Thread
MySQL on LinuxRonan Lucio6 Apr
  • Re: MySQL on Linuxdan6 Apr
    • Re: MySQL on LinuxRonan Lucio6 Apr
      • Re: MySQL on LinuxBenjamin Arai8 Apr
    • Re: MySQL on LinuxBrad Tilley6 Apr
      • Re: MySQL on Linuxdan6 Apr
        • Re: MySQL on LinuxBrad Tilley6 Apr
          • Re: MySQL on LinuxChris W6 Apr
        • Re: MySQL on LinuxAlan Williamson6 Apr
          • Re: MySQL on LinuxDan Nelson6 Apr
            • Re: MySQL on LinuxAlan Williamson6 Apr
              • Re: MySQL on LinuxPeter J Milanese7 Apr
                • Re: MySQL on Linuxdan7 Apr
            • Re: MySQL on LinuxPaul Smith9 Apr
              • Re: MySQL on LinuxDan9 Apr
  • Re: MySQL on Linux(Pete Harlan)6 Apr