List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 6 2004 9:54pm
Subject:Re: MySQL on Linux
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 06), Alan Williamson said:
> >the most popular would have been Red Hat, which doesn't have this
> >limit you speak of, even plain vanilla install (no twiddling
> >needed).
>
> Not to spoil a perfectly good pontification ... but i have to say
> that we have a Redhat8 distribution running on a Dell PowerEdge
> Server and when Apache gets to the 2GB size on its access file, it
> does indeed stop.  This is not old hardware (12months old).

That is because although Linux binaries can access files over 2gb, they
do not do so by default.  Apache was probably not compiled with the
required defines (-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64), so
that's why it stops at 2gb even though both the kernel and filesystem
most likely do support larger files.

> So the question still remains.  What would happen in MySQL when that
> file isn't allowed to grow any further?

Mysql's configure script checks for systems that require special flags
to access large files, so no mysql binaries should have this problem on
modern Linux systems (i.e. any 2.4 kernel)

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
MySQL on LinuxRonan Lucio6 Apr
  • Re: MySQL on Linuxdan6 Apr
    • Re: MySQL on LinuxRonan Lucio6 Apr
      • Re: MySQL on LinuxBenjamin Arai8 Apr
    • Re: MySQL on LinuxBrad Tilley6 Apr
      • Re: MySQL on Linuxdan6 Apr
        • Re: MySQL on LinuxBrad Tilley6 Apr
          • Re: MySQL on LinuxChris W6 Apr
        • Re: MySQL on LinuxAlan Williamson6 Apr
          • Re: MySQL on LinuxDan Nelson6 Apr
            • Re: MySQL on LinuxAlan Williamson6 Apr
              • Re: MySQL on LinuxPeter J Milanese7 Apr
                • Re: MySQL on Linuxdan7 Apr
            • Re: MySQL on LinuxPaul Smith9 Apr
              • Re: MySQL on LinuxDan9 Apr
  • Re: MySQL on Linux(Pete Harlan)6 Apr