List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Faucette Date:October 17 1999 8:03pm
Subject:Re: mysqlshow doesn't work for tables with underscores
View as plain text
On a related subject (database names), mysqladmin won't create a DB with
periods in the name.

  jim...

Michael Widenius wrote:

> writes:

> list> mysqlshow doesn't show tables that have underscores in them, ie, the
> list> following works:
>
> list> mysqlshow dcse_main computer
>
> list> but this does not:
>
> list> mysqlshow dcse_main index_entity_12
>
> list> and neither does this:
>
> list> mysqlshow testfeest index_entity_12
>
> list> SHOW COLUMS FROM however works correctly when connected to the
> list> right database.
> >> How-To-Repeat:
> list> Create database and tables as in the examples in de description.
> >> Fix:
> list> Use SHOW COLUMNS instead.
>
> Hi!
>
> The problem is that '_' is a wildcard in SQL, and if you give a wildcard to
> mysqlshow, it will use patter matching for what's shown.
>
> >From mysqlshow --help:
>
> -----
> If last argument contains a shell wildcard (* or ?) then only what's
> matched by the wildcard is shown.
> If no database is given then all matching databases are shown.
> If no table is given then all matching tables in database are shown
> If no field is given then all matching fields and fieldtypes in table
> are shown
>
> --------
>
> In the case of:
>
> mysqlshow testfeest index_entity_12
>
> mysqlshow thinks you are asking for:
>
> Show all table names in testfeest that matches 'index_entity_12'
>
> Try this:
>
> mysqlshow testfeest i%
>
> If you want the column names, you can use:
>
> mysqlshow testfeest index_entity_12 %
>
> (I know this isn't intuitive, but we haven't come up with anything
> better to give both functionalities)
>
> Regards,
> Monty
Thread
mysqlshow doesn't work for tables with underscoreslist15 Oct
  • mysqlshow doesn't work for tables with underscoresMichael Widenius17 Oct
  • Re: mysqlshow doesn't work for tables with underscoresJim Faucette18 Oct