List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:March 30 2004 7:15am
Subject:Re: Unique from this point forward
View as plain text
Hi Scott,

> Is there any way to define a column in MySql 4 that is to be unique from
> this point forward.  Meaning, there are indeed dupes in the column now,
> those are ok, there is really no repairing that damage as the data was
> inherited from somewhere else.  I am constantly having to select the
column
> to see if there is a dupe entry in it before inserting, I would like to
stop
> having to do this and define the column as unique from this point forward.
> However, in trying this, MySql will not allow me to make it unique until I
> remove all the duplicates.

Well, that should tell you something, right?

What's the point in having data "unique from this point forward" anyway?

If you want it unique, repair it.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
The Swedish Vocals?magnus.waller30 Mar
  • Unique from this point forwardScott Haneda30 Mar
    • Re: Unique from this point forwardMartijn Tonies30 Mar