List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 28 2004 10:26pm
Subject:Re: Create table 'LIKE' ....Error 1064
View as plain text
At 7:48 -0800 3/28/04, Khashan wrote:
>Hello All,
>I have MySQL 4.0.16 on Windows 2000 pro.
>     I am trying to create a table in an existing database.
>according to the manual, I can use one of these statements:
>6.5.3 CREATE TABLE Syntax
>CREATE [TEMPORARY] TABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] tbl_name [(create_definition,...)]
>[table_options] [select_statement]
>or
>CREATE [TEMPORARY] TABLE [IF NOT EXISTS] tbl_name [(] LIKE old_tbl_name [)];
>
>I am trying to use the second option. I have a table students and i
>want to create another table students2 using the 'LIKE'  students.
>Here are the results:
>
>mysql> CREATE TABLE students2 LIKE students;
>ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual
>that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax
>to use near 'LIKE students' at line 1
>mysql> CREATE TABLE students2 (LIKE students);
>ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual
>that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax
>to use near 'LIKE students)' at line 1
>
>1064 is ER_PARSE_ERROR
>I tried all the tricks i know to no avail. I really don't see the
>error in this simple command,!!!.   Any help would be appricated.

Farther down the manual page:

In MySQL 4.1, you can also use LIKE to create a table based on the
definition of another table, including any column attributes and
indexes the original table has:
CREATE TABLE new_tbl LIKE orig_tbl;

So you need 4.1 for this to work.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/
Thread
Create table 'LIKE' ....Error 1064Khashan29 Mar
  • Re: Create table 'LIKE' ....Error 1064Paul DuBois29 Mar