List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jacque Scott Date:March 23 2004 6:16pm
Subject:Re: Sorting with an alpha numeric field.
View as plain text
I have something like A001C, B689, B1001 etc...

In the last episode (Mar 23), Jacque Scott said:
> I need to create a query that will sort by a alpha numeric field. I
> need the ID field returned and one problem that I will face is that
when
> it sorts in alpha numeric the ID field will be out of sequence. I
will
> use this ID field in another part of the program so I need to make
sure
> I get all of the ID.

If you mean that you have a number in a CHAR or other text field, just
do math on it to force mysql to convert it to a numeric type:

ORDER BY myfield+0

--
Dan Nelson
dnelson@stripped

Thread
Sorting with an alpha numeric field.Jacque Scott23 Mar
  • Re: Sorting with an alpha numeric field.Dan Nelson23 Mar
  • Re: Sorting with an alpha numeric field.Garth Webb23 Mar
Re: Sorting with an alpha numeric field.Jacque Scott23 Mar
  • Re: Sorting with an alpha numeric field.Dan Nelson23 Mar
    • RE: Sorting with an alpha numeric field.Erich Beyrent23 Mar
Re: Sorting with an alpha numeric field.Jacque Scott23 Mar