List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:S. Whitmore Date:April 9 1999 11:34pm
Subject:FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)
View as plain text
> Please consult the manual before posting to the list.

From my own experience, since I also asked this question recently, I
don't consider the manual to be a useful reference for finding the
answer to that.  The problem is, reading the entire manual front to
back (so to speak) is simply not feasible -- I have tons of things
waiting for me to read them, and nowhere near enough time.  So it's
left to doing string searches in the index/toc and full text of the
manual, which I did, but still didn't find what I was looking for.
That's partly my fault for not picking "better" words to search for
(but let's face it, we all have different backgrounds that will affect
how we see things, and thus the words we choose when searching for
things), and partly the manual's fault, since I can't control how it
is organized.

This is why a FAQ is so important -- and this question (how to
replicate table structures between databases) is clearly a candidate.
The FAQ gives an alternative point of reference, rather than relying
on the manual.  The manual is obviously a worthwhile reference, and
should be the first stop, but a FAQ would give yet another reference
to consult prior to asking questions on this list.

This weekend I will hammer out "version 0.9" of my interactive MySQL
FAQ and publish a pointer to it via this list.  (It'll give me a good
excuse to start teaching myself PHP.)  Hopefully it can be a
collaborative effort that will help everyone, experts and novices
alike.  (Experts might not consult the FAQ, but they'll hopefully
appreciate the reduced appearance of questions in this list!)

-Stuart
whitmore@stripped   /   http://www.drizzle.com/~whitmore/
(I read this list in digest format, thus my responses may be delayed.)

Thread
How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
  • Re: Problem connecting to db in MySql from Java codeDavid Halsted15 Sep
Re: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • RE: How to switch users.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
RE: How to switch users.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
    • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Jay Miller9 Apr
      • RE: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Srini Bhamidipaty9 Apr
        • Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Thimble Smith9 Apr
Re: Creating a SQL script to generate tables.Fred Lindberg9 Apr
  • FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)S. Whitmore10 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg10 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Michael Widenius11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPeter F. Brown11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)kalle volkov11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Steve Edberg11 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
        • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois11 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels12 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs ManualPaul DuBois12 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp11 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualEd Carp12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs ManualIsabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manualjonathan michaels13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read12 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Isabelle Poueriet18 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualRichard Reina13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs ManualFred Read13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Vivek Khera14 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Micheal Mc Evoy13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp13 Apr
  • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Ed Carp14 Apr
    • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)jonathan michaels15 Apr
      • Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Darrell Shifflett15 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manual (was: Re: Creating a SQL script...)Fred Lindberg12 Apr
  • More about my FAQ...S. Whitmore13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Fred Read13 Apr
    • Re: More about my FAQ...Ed Carp13 Apr
Re: FAQ vs Manualluuk13 Apr