List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Eldon Ziegler Date:March 18 2004 8:27am
Subject:Re: Wish List of Features
View as plain text
Mark,

I've had some of the same thoughts as yours. Others have mentioned SHOW
CREATE TABLE.

I created a Windows program to put a GUI interface on designing tables for
MySQL to ease the load on my memory while setting up a database. It
includes the ability to insert new fields at any place and to move fields
around to make the structure make sense for sometime down the road when I
try to remember what I did. It's handy when first creating a table. I
haven't released it but if someone wants to take a look, let me know.

Eldon Ziegler

At 10:38 am 3/16/2004, you wrote:
>I downloaded MySQL and began playing with it.  It is a very impressive
>program and many awards should go to everyone who has ever worked on this
>project.  :-)
>
>Since I'm mainly just playing around with the server right now I could
>never be considered a real user until I've created a few databases and
>have gotten into the feel of MySQL.  Still, after having played with it
>(and mysqlcc) for a while - there were a few things I wanted to ask
>about.  Especially since these features might already exist and I just
>haven't gotten to them in the MySQL book.  (I'm using the Paul DuBois book.)
>
>I used to use FoxBase+ quite a bit and eventually, where I work, I wrote
>several database applications using my own code.  One of the things I
>found very useful was:
>
>1. LIST STRUCTURE.  Which would dump an exact copy of the commands used to
>create a table in a database.  Thus, in MySQL, this command would display
>the correctly coded CREATE TABLE command for each table.  This command
>used to be in FoxBase+ and I have found it very useful several times.  I
>know about the SHOW COLUMNS command - it is not the same although I could
>write some code to extract it and then create the CREATE TABLE command
>from it.  (This is just one of those ease of use/convience things.)
>
>The second thing I can not figure out, is how to rearrange my entries in
>the table.  In MySQLCC, I can not find any command which will allow me to
>move items up and down in the list.  Granted that, if there is data in the
>database, this could cause problems - but if you are just trying to set up
>a database and you go "Oops!  I forgot to put in X" - you can not put X
>anywhere except at the very bottom of the list.  So my next thing is a
>question:
>
>2. Is there a way to reorganize your table's layout in MySQLCC?  Or do I
>have to delete the entire table and start over?
>
>Again, I am pulling from my FoxBase+ background.  In FoxBase+ you can
>insert new fields into the table and what it would do in the background is
>to change the name of the table to a temporary name, build the new field
>list, and then port the old table over to the new one and get rid of the
>temporary table.  This is (again) an ease of use/convience thing.  A
>script could be written to do this I suppose but then I'd still have to
>create the new table, get out of mysqlcc, run the script, and then get
>back in again.  It would be nicer if mysqlcc had this built in.  (I
>hope!  :-) )
>
>TIA! To whomever answers this message.  :-)
>
>Mark
>

>--

Eldon Ziegler
President
ProAtion Systems, Inc.
www.proation.com

Thread
Wish List of FeaturesMark Manning16 Mar
  • Re: Wish List of FeaturesDavid Griffiths16 Mar
    • Re: Wish List of FeaturesDaniel Gibby16 Mar
  • RE: Wish List of FeaturesDaevid Vincent17 Mar
RE: Wish List of FeaturesDarran Kartaschew16 Mar
Re: Wish List of FeaturesEldon Ziegler18 Mar
  • MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableAlan Williamson18 Mar
    • Re: MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableChris Nolan18 Mar
      • Re: MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableAlan Williamson18 Mar
  • Re: MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableMartijn Tonies18 Mar