List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Manning Date:March 16 2004 3:38pm
Subject:Wish List of Features
View as plain text
I downloaded MySQL and began playing with it.  It is a very impressive
program and many awards should go to everyone who has ever worked on
this project.  :-)

Since I'm mainly just playing around with the server right now I could
never be considered a real user until I've created a few databases and
have gotten into the feel of MySQL.  Still, after having played with it
(and mysqlcc) for a while - there were a few things I wanted to ask
about.  Especially since these features might already exist and I just
haven't gotten to them in the MySQL book.  (I'm using the Paul DuBois book.)

I used to use FoxBase+ quite a bit and eventually, where I work, I wrote
several database applications using my own code.  One of the things I
found very useful was:

1. LIST STRUCTURE.  Which would dump an exact copy of the commands used
to create a table in a database.  Thus, in MySQL, this command would
display the correctly coded CREATE TABLE command for each table.  This
command used to be in FoxBase+ and I have found it very useful several
times.  I know about the SHOW COLUMNS command - it is not the same
although I could write some code to extract it and then create the
CREATE TABLE command from it.  (This is just one of those ease of
use/convience things.)

The second thing I can not figure out, is how to rearrange my entries in
the table.  In MySQLCC, I can not find any command which will allow me
to move items up and down in the list.  Granted that, if there is data
in the database, this could cause problems - but if you are just trying
to set up a database and you go "Oops!  I forgot to put in X" - you can
not put X anywhere except at the very bottom of the list.  So my next
thing is a question:

2. Is there a way to reorganize your table's layout in MySQLCC?  Or do I
have to delete the entire table and start over?

Again, I am pulling from my FoxBase+ background.  In FoxBase+ you can
insert new fields into the table and what it would do in the background
is to change the name of the table to a temporary name, build the new
field list, and then port the old table over to the new one and get rid
of the temporary table.  This is (again) an ease of use/convience
thing.  A script could be written to do this I suppose but then I'd
still have to create the new table, get out of mysqlcc, run the script,
and then get back in again.  It would be nicer if mysqlcc had this built
in.  (I hope!  :-) )

TIA! To whomever answers this message.  :-)

Mark

Thread
Wish List of FeaturesMark Manning16 Mar
  • Re: Wish List of FeaturesDavid Griffiths16 Mar
    • Re: Wish List of FeaturesDaniel Gibby16 Mar
  • RE: Wish List of FeaturesDaevid Vincent17 Mar
RE: Wish List of FeaturesDarran Kartaschew16 Mar
Re: Wish List of FeaturesEldon Ziegler18 Mar
  • MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableAlan Williamson18 Mar
    • Re: MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableChris Nolan18 Mar
      • Re: MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableAlan Williamson18 Mar
  • Re: MyISAM vs. INNODB for a single blob tableMartijn Tonies18 Mar