List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Warner Date:March 3 2004 7:11pm
Subject:Re: PgSQL vs MySQL
View as plain text
Hm. I am not a professional DBA, but I have used both MySQL and
PostreSQL for the same application, and I can say that I am more
satisfied with PgSQL. It is faster and more reliable, on the platform
that I have built (Dual Opteron 244 w/ 3GB of PC3200). While I had few
technical problems with MySQL, I just never felt comfortable using it,
so I have switched to PgSQL for everything. Serials (aka auto-increment
in MySQL) work fantastically. The ability to SET the value of the serial
is useful. I tried for weeks to replicate that functionaility with
MySQL, and failed. The core superiority of the PgSQL SERIAL, as opposed
to the MySQL AUTO-INCREMENT lies in the fact that the serials' values
are stored in a table, and can be set, read, and predicted accurately,
and easily. My database is somewhat small (6-8GB), and PgSQL offered an
almost 15% performance increase over MySQL, for the same data.
Additionally, my support code was simplified drastically by some of the
core functions of PgSQL. For this reason, I have abandoned MySQL, and
switched to PgSQL. Also, in the past week, there have been about 10
times as many technical support problems in this mailing list, as in the
relative PgSQL list. This supports my belief that PgSQL is a better DB
platform. Thank you all for your information.

Good Day,
Mark Warner.

David Griffiths wrote:

>One other point that I forgot I mentioned - PostgresQL does not have a
>decent replication solution. There are a few solutions, including one from
>PostgreSQL.com.
>
>The PostgresQL.com version is not the latest - you need to pay for support
>to get that. The other ones were (last I looked) incomplete.
>
>Davi.

PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLdavid.best3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
    • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLCurtis Maurand3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLRay3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMichael Stassen3 Mar
        • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKevin Williams3 Mar
        • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLCurtis Maurand3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar
    • RE: PgSQL vs MySQLJames Kelty3 Mar
    • RE: PgSQL vs MySQLJeremy Smith3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKaarel13 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKaren Abgarian3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar
    • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLEric @ Zomething3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMartijn Tonies3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar