List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Karen Abgarian Date:March 3 2004 6:37pm
Subject:Re: PgSQL vs MySQL
View as plain text
Hello David,

I do not approve or disapprove of your choice of Postgres over MySQL.

To best of my knowledge, Postgres does not have media (or point in
time) recovery, at all.
The only thing possible is a consistent backup, resulting in a SQL
dump.   No clues how
long it will take to restore it.

What is the plan to get around without it for critical databases?

Thanks and regards
Karen Abgarian

PS.  It is my first post to this list and to any list.   I replied to
the sender and CC'ed the list.
I apologize if that was wrong.  If so, there are valid reasons to refer
me to the list doco,
but I lost it :-).

On Mar 3, 2004, at 6:51 AM, david.best@stripped wrote:

>> What advantages, besides ease of setup, does MySQL hold over
>> PostgreSQL?
>> It would seem, to me, that the two are close competitors (both in
>> quality, and performance).
>
> Are you sure about quality?  Check out:
>
> http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
>
> You can check out postgresql's on the same site but they are
> significally less critical.   After reviewing this and talking to some
> other people i'm switching over to postgresql.   I'm sure there is a
> place with mysql but I don't think i'd trust it for anything critical
> unless you very confident your developers know what they are doing.

PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLdavid.best3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
    • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLCurtis Maurand3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLRay3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMichael Stassen3 Mar
        • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKevin Williams3 Mar
        • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLCurtis Maurand3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar
    • RE: PgSQL vs MySQLJames Kelty3 Mar
    • RE: PgSQL vs MySQLJeremy Smith3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKaarel13 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKaren Abgarian3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar
    • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLEric @ Zomething3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMartijn Tonies3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar