List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Warner Date:March 3 2004 3:43pm
Subject:Re: PgSQL vs MySQL
View as plain text
The thing which bothers me most about MySQL is the lack of a proper
boolean. I don't like having to abstract a tinyint(1) into true or
false. As much of my work involves building applications with Yes or No
questions, I think I am switching to PostgreSQL.

david.best@stripped wrote:

>>What advantages, besides ease of setup, does MySQL hold over PostgreSQL?
>>It would seem, to me, that the two are close competitors (both in
>>quality, and performance).
>>

>Are you sure about quality?  Check out:
>
>http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
>
>You can check out postgresql's on the same site but they are significally less
> critical.   After reviewing this and talking to some other people i'm switching over to
> postgresql.   I'm sure there is a place with mysql but I don't think i'd trust it for
> anything critical unless you very confident your developers know what they are doing.

Thread
PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLdavid.best3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
    • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLCurtis Maurand3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLRay3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMichael Stassen3 Mar
        • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKevin Williams3 Mar
        • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLCurtis Maurand3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar
    • RE: PgSQL vs MySQLJames Kelty3 Mar
    • RE: PgSQL vs MySQLJeremy Smith3 Mar
      • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKaarel13 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLKaren Abgarian3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar
    • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMark Warner3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLEric @ Zomething3 Mar
  • Re: PgSQL vs MySQLMartijn Tonies3 Mar
Re: PgSQL vs MySQLDavid Griffiths3 Mar