List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 14 1999 9:12pm
Subject:difficulty installing mysql
View as plain text
>>>>> "Roland" == Roland Silver <rollo@stripped> writes:

Roland> We are having difficulty installing mysql on a machine running Red Hat
Roland> Linux 6.0.  We downloaded the files MySQL-3.22.27-1.i386.rpm and
Roland> MySQL-client-3.22.27-1.i386.rpm to the directory /usr/local/mysql.
Roland> Then, as suggested in section 4.6.1 of the manual, we did rpm -i on
Roland> these two files (as root, in the directory /usr/local/mysql),

Roland> The manual then says to follow the instructions of the binary install
Roland> section starting from the step that creates the mysql grant tables
Roland> (step 6).  This instructs us to run mysql_install_db from the scripts
Roland> directory, but this directory doesn't exist.  Instead, rpm placed the
Roland> files in /usr/bin.  It seemed to have also already created the grant
Roland> tables and started the server, but we decided it would be safe to
Roland> repeat those steps just in case.

Roland> (The rpm did place data in /var/lib/mysql as described in the manual,
Roland> but not in /sbin/rc.d but rather /etc/rc.d--this isn't a problem but
Roland> you might want to correct the description.)

Roland> After completing the installation we tested it with the command
Roland> "mysqladmin version" but got the following error message:

Roland> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
Roland> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)'
Roland> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/' exists!

Roland> (No mysql.sock file exists anywhere.)

Roland> Can you help us?

Hi!

I have now update the online manual.

The RPM ends by starting the MySQL daemon and installing the grant
tables, there is no need to run the mysql_install_db script.

You should now be able to start MySQL with:

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S90mysql start

or

bin/safe_mysqld &

Regards,
Monty
Thread
difficulty installing mysqlRoland Silver14 Oct
  • difficulty installing mysqlMichael Widenius14 Oct