List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:beacker Date:February 21 2004 4:22pm
Subject:Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?
View as plain text
>Can anyone tell me whether or not some kind of RAID will improve the
>seek/access times during lots of random reads from, say, MyISAM data
>files?  I *do not care* about improved [sequential] transfer rates; I
>want the fastest possible random access.

     RAID will only help reduce the average random access time not
an individual random access.  This would require you to have a large
number of accesses/sec, with multiple accesses in progress at the
same time.  If you are dealing with a single-threaded type situation
I doubt that RAID will help the situation much.

     The read-ahead most disks provide may prove useful depending on
how much of the data actually gets scanned.  But large requests are
where this excells, typical of a table scan should it occur.  For random
small reads, like an index access, you would need many of them in
progress simultaneously to get real benefit from RAID.

                   Brad Eacker (beacker@stripped)

Thread
Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Matt W21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Dan Nelson21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?beacker21 Feb
RE: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Ted.A.Gifford21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Matt W21 Feb
    • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Sasha Pachev23 Feb