List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ted.A.Gifford Date:February 21 2004 1:24am
Subject:RE: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?
View as plain text
Run everything off a ramdisk ;-)

Ted Gifford

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt W [mailto:mysql_lists@stripped]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 5:21 PM
To: mysql@stripped
Subject: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether or not some kind of RAID will improve the
seek/access times during lots of random reads from, say, MyISAM data files?
I *do not care* about improved [sequential] transfer rates; I want the
fastest possible random access.

I'm thinking that RAID won't give an improvement in this case, because the
disks can't know where to read from until MySQL issues the seek calls. :-(
About the only thing I can think of that may help is if you're using
striping, there won't be as much data on each disk so the head would need
shorter seeks.

If RAID doesn't help the situation, any other ideas if the sub-6ms access
times of the fastest 15K SCSI drives isn't fast enough? :-)

Thanks,

Matt
Thread
Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Matt W21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Dan Nelson21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?beacker21 Feb
RE: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Ted.A.Gifford21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Matt W21 Feb
    • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Sasha Pachev23 Feb