List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Matt W Date:February 21 2004 1:20am
Subject:Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?
View as plain text
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether or not some kind of RAID will improve the seek/access times
during lots of random reads from, say, MyISAM data files?  I *do not care* about improved
[sequential] transfer rates; I want the fastest possible random access.

I'm thinking that RAID won't give an improvement in this case, because the disks can't
know where to read from until MySQL issues the seek calls. :-(  About the only thing I
can think of that may help is if you're using striping, there won't be as much data on
each disk so the head would need shorter seeks.

If RAID doesn't help the situation, any other ideas if the sub-6ms access times of the
fastest 15K SCSI drives isn't fast enough? :-)

Thanks,

Matt

Thread
Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Matt W21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Dan Nelson21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?beacker21 Feb
RE: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Ted.A.Gifford21 Feb
  • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Matt W21 Feb
    • Re: Improving seek/access times -- does RAID help?Sasha Pachev23 Feb