List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Preeper Date:October 13 1999 9:10pm
Subject:using limit and also getting total count
View as plain text
I have the following sql query I am using and was wondering if there is any
way of getting a total count of matching items in the database but limiting
the results to 3 or whatever number of items.

I have shortened the query somewhat for irrelevant stuff:
$sql_query = "select id,date,headline,type,story from jpnews ";
$sql_query .= "where type=1 and status=1 "
$sql_query .= "order by id desc limit 3";
$sql_result = $dbh->Query($sql_query);
$howmany = $sql_result->numrows;

Naturally, $howmany just gives me 3 on a query I tested that returns 6
without the limit.  I want the total count so I can display a more tab at
the end of everything with the number of additional matching records and a
link to another program that runs a different query when retrieving those
items.  I also want to keep the limit since the stories are all in the
database as text blobs and there is no sense returning a lot of data that
I'm just not going to use in this query.

Do I need to do two separate queries (one for the count plus the one above)
or is there some efficient way to get this into the same query?

Thanks
Jerry

Thread
using limit and also getting total countJerry Preeper13 Oct
  • Re: using limit and also getting total countJay J14 Oct
    • Re: using limit and also getting total countBob Kline14 Oct
      • Re: using limit and also getting total countJay J14 Oct
        • Re: using limit and also getting total countBob Kline14 Oct
          • Re: using limit and also getting total countJerry Preeper14 Oct
          • Re: using limit and also getting total countRyan Dickinson18 Oct
        • Re: using limit and also getting total countMichael Widenius14 Oct
      • Re: using limit and also getting total count [cacheing query answers]Jay J16 Oct
    • Re: using limit and also getting total countMichael Widenius14 Oct
  • Re: using limit and also getting total countGerald Clark15 Oct