List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Leafe Date:February 12 2004 3:08am
Subject:Re: SQL2000 and MySql
View as plain text
On Feb 11, 2004, at 9:31 PM, Chris Nolan wrote:

>>     Done intelligently, though, a Visual FoxPro app that uses VFP for
>> the GUI and business logic, and which uses MySQL as the back end, is
>> an incredibly powerful combination. I haven't done VFP development
>> that uses Xbase-type tables in years. You'll never hear about it from
>> Microsoft, though, because they'd rather sell you the full Visual
>> Studio package along with a bunch of Microsoft SQL Server licenses.
>>
> Out of curiosity, have you ever migrated an application built using FP
> or VFP along with XBase-type tables to MySQL? There's a developer I
> know who would be interested in doing so and is looking for some
> advice if you're interested.

	Yes, I've done several. The level of difficulty depends on how
well-designed the app was in the first place. If they used lots of the
ancient Xbase commands to access data, it will be pretty much a
complete re-write. However, if they used any sort of data classes, or
if they used buffered SQL views instead of direct tables access, it can
be converted without too much pain.

>>     As an aside, the VFP community has never really integrated into
>> the whole Microsoft "way" of doing things. There is a large group of
>> developers who develop business apps for Windows desktops in VFP, and
>> use MySQL on Linux servers for the data. At a recent VFP conference,
>> a session on using MySQL was packed.
>>
> There's been a few threads on this list in the past regarding the
> difficulty in matching VFP's native datastore performance when using
> MySQL (mainly due to VFP's Rushmore optimisation engine). Have you
> experienced this problem to any degree?

	In many cases, there is nothing faster than the VFP data engine. It
never ceases to amaze me how wicked fast it is with properly designed
indexes. But there are few businesses today that can afford to keep
their data in a data store with no security. With Xbase tables, if you
have access to them at all, you have full access - there is no concept
of levels of security. None of my clients would dream of trading the
security and scalability of MySQL for a couple of milliseconds of
improved performance.

      ___/
     /
    __/
   /
  ____/
  Ed Leafe
  http://leafe.com/
  http://opentech.leafe.com

Thread
SQL2000 and MySqlAubais309 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies9 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlPeter J Milanese9 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies9 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan10 Feb
    • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlEd Leafe11 Feb
      • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan12 Feb
        • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlEd Leafe12 Feb
          • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan12 Feb
            • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlEd Leafe12 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies10 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan10 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies10 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlPeter Zaitsev10 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan11 Feb
    • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlJochem van Dieten11 Feb
      • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan11 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies11 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies11 Feb