List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Leafe Date:February 12 2004 2:11am
Subject:Re: SQL2000 and MySql
View as plain text
On Feb 11, 2004, at 7:31 PM, Chris Nolan wrote:

> Yes, we all know that Microsoft *bought* FoxPro's underlaying
> technology, that is *FoxBASE*! Everything ever called FoxPro has been
> a Microsoft product.

	Sorry, you're off by a few years. FoxPro had been out for several
years before Microsoft bought Fox Software. All of the *Visual* FoxPro
releases have been by Microsoft, though. I'm sure you're not familiar
with it at all (Microsoft tries so hard to keep it a secret), but
Visual FoxPro is a powerful object-oriented development system that can
handle all 3 tiers of a typical 3-tier app design. Granted, the data
store part of it is lame compared to a real RDBMS, but it is more than
sufficient for many apps.

> Agreed that FoxPro's xBase implementation is quite quick, but the fact
> that it's pushed as a high-performance multi-user engine is a bit of
> an insult. If one more of my clients calls me saying "Help! Our
> medical management software won't start! Help!" and it turns out that
> a reindex was attempted while someone was busy inserting pictures of
> fresh incissions I'll be very annoyed (and charging accordingly).

	Well, I'm sure that I could write some equally horrible scenario using
*any* system out there. And I've seen tons of crap in all languages on
all platforms.

	Done intelligently, though, a Visual FoxPro app that uses VFP for the
GUI and business logic, and which uses MySQL as the back end, is an
incredibly powerful combination. I haven't done VFP development that
uses Xbase-type tables in years. You'll never hear about it from
Microsoft, though, because they'd rather sell you the full Visual
Studio package along with a bunch of Microsoft SQL Server licenses.

	As an aside, the VFP community has never really integrated into the
whole Microsoft "way" of doing things. There is a large group of
developers who develop business apps for Windows desktops in VFP, and
use MySQL on Linux servers for the data. At a recent VFP conference, a
session on using MySQL was packed.

      ___/
     /
    __/
   /
  ____/
  Ed Leafe
  http://leafe.com/
  http://opentech.leafe.com

Thread
SQL2000 and MySqlAubais309 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies9 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlPeter J Milanese9 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies9 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan10 Feb
    • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlEd Leafe11 Feb
      • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan12 Feb
        • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlEd Leafe12 Feb
          • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan12 Feb
            • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlEd Leafe12 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies10 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan10 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies10 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlPeter Zaitsev10 Feb
  • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan11 Feb
    • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlJochem van Dieten11 Feb
      • Re: SQL2000 and MySqlChris Nolan11 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies11 Feb
Re: SQL2000 and MySqlMartijn Tonies11 Feb