List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:February 7 2004 3:27am
Subject:Re: Memory Leak using InnoDB ?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Feb 07), Geoffrey said:
> I'm running MySQL 4.0.17 with RH Linux 8 on Xeon 3.0/1GB RAM.
>
> One application has to access the database (1 connection to the DB is
> open on startup and left open). However this application performs a
> lot of queries on the DB.
>
> Thanks to  "top", I can see that the "used memory" is constantly
> increasing and never freed (up to 1 GB) when performing a lot of
> queries. In fact, I can see the total memory usage increasing but the
> mysqld process memory usage remains the same.
>
> When the DB is not accessed, the memory usage is stable. Stopping MySQL
> server doesn't free the abnormaly allocated memory.

Ideally, you should have very little "free" memory according to top
(most systems will see under 20MB free).  Free memory is wasted memory.
Unix uses memory not allocated to processes for a disk cache.  To
determine whether you are truly low on memory, run iostat and watch the
swap columns.  Constant swap activity means you're low on memory.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped