List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:October 12 1999 6:06pm
Subject:Re: Can't access mysql server
View as plain text
At 09:49, 19991012, Anthony Bruckner wrote:
>I installed the mysql server on my intel/redhat 6.0 machine using the rpm
>version. It seems to be running fine (viewed in "top"). However, I do not
>understand how to access it to send it commands. When I type "mysql" at
>shell prompt, I just get an echo back saying:
>
>[root@perfectbeat ~]# mysql
>usage: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start|stop
>[root@perfectbeat ~]#

Hi.  Two things.  First, you should NOT have /etc/rc.d/init.d in your
PATH.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, write me a private
message and I'll explain a bit about the PATH variable and what it's
for.

Second, probably you only got the server RPM.  You need to get the
client RPM, also (available from the same downloads page off the
MySQL home page).  The 'mysql' program is distributed in the client
package.

If you want to compile other programs that work with MySQL, you'll
probably also need the development RPM.  You'll need it, for example,
if you want to run Perl programs that use MySQL, or if you want to
write a C application, or basically anything else that's not made by
TcX.

Tim

>There is no binary called "mysql". There is a "safe_mysqld", but I cannot
>generate a mysql> command prompt as described in the manual (WHICH I HAVE
>READ COVER TO COVER__NONE OF THE STEPS APPEAR TO APPLY TO MY CASE).

OK.  Did you read this?

http://mysql.he.net/Manual_chapter/manual_Installing.html#Linux-RPM

If you did read that section, can you tell us how to improve it, so
that it will be more clear to new users what RPMs they need to get?

>Is there another command that I can use that bypasses this startup
>script????

You should NOT be getting the 'mysql' script that is in /etc/rc.d/init.d
when you type 'mysql' at the command prompt.  That's just ... bad.  You
should get something like "mysql: command not found" (depending on what
shell you're using).  Fix your PATH.

>Anthony

Tim
Thread
Can't access mysql serverAnthony Bruckner12 Oct
  • Re: Can't access mysql serverBob Kline12 Oct
  • Re: Can't access mysql serverThimble Smith12 Oct
Re: Can't access mysql serverAnthony Bruckner12 Oct