List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:January 28 2004 3:32am
Subject:Re: Reducing MySQL memory consumption?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Jan 27), Philip Mak said:
> > No, mysql is taking up 23MB.  Linux creates separate processes for
> > each thread, which is why you see lots of mysqlds in top.  They all
> > share the same address space, though.  Are you sure you don't maybe
> > have a couple dozen apache processes consuming your memory instead?
>
> Well, here's a ps (sorted by memory, greatest memory usage is at the
> bottom):
>
> http://lina.aaanime.net/~pmak/memory.txt
>
> At the bottom, it's all mysqld processes. A total of about 1400 MB of
> RAM is being used... so if mysqld's memory is all shared, I guess
> it's all from the apache processes adding up?

Holy cow!

You have 1.2GB of process space being consumed by 181 httpd processes!!
Only 547MB of that space is currently in core, which is probably why
you're thrashing so bad.  Some of that is shared space, but the size of
httpd+libc probably isn't more than 1mb total.

You need to start asking questions in an apache list :)  Can apache
serve all those virtual hosts under one process?  Or maybe switch to
something other than apache for the static content so you can collapse
those 129 plain httpd processes.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped