List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Philip Mak Date:January 28 2004 1:38am
Subject:Re: Reducing MySQL memory consumption?
View as plain text
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:56:53PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
> You didn't say what OS you're using, but the below top output looks
> like Linux's procps top, which doesn't tell you your paging rate.  Run
> "vmstat 1" and watch the si and so columns.  Just because swap is being
> used doesn't mean you're thrashing.  You need to know the rate.

It's Linux, yes.

The si and so columns were in the hundreds when I did "vmstat 1", but
I didn't save it at the moment the machine had a high load average and
lots of swap space used.

> No, mysql is taking up 23MB.  Linux creates separate processes for each
> thread, which is why you see lots of mysqlds in top.  They all share
> the same address space, though.  Are you sure you don't maybe have a
> couple dozen apache processes consuming your memory instead?

Well, here's a ps (sorted by memory, greatest memory usage is at the
bottom):

http://lina.aaanime.net/~pmak/memory.txt

At the bottom, it's all mysqld processes. A total of about 1400 MB of
RAM is being used... so if mysqld's memory is all shared, I guess it's
all from the apache processes adding up?

Oh, does anyone know how to make "ps" not show shared memory used by
processes more than once?
Thread
Reducing MySQL memory consumption?Philip Mak24 Jan
  • Re: Reducing MySQL memory consumption?Dan Nelson24 Jan
    • Re: Reducing MySQL memory consumption?Philip Mak28 Jan
      • Re: Reducing MySQL memory consumption?Dan Nelson28 Jan