List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 12 1999 4:50pm
Subject:Problems Creating a new user
View as plain text

Per> Hi,
Per> I'm a mySQL newbie, so if there's somewhere else I should look for
Per> answers on this, please let me know.

Per> I'm having trouble creating a new user with mysql. I checked the
Per> documentation at www.mysql.com, and www.devshed.com, and I haven't found
Per> anything that has given me a clue.

Per> I installed a fresh database with 'my_install_db' and I have no problems
Per> connecting as root (after 'mysqladmin -u root password mypassword'), and
Per> I issued the following command to create a new user:

Per>      grant all priviliges on *.* to pthomsen identified by
Per>      'password' with grant option;

Hi!

This means that you will insert an entry with host='%' to the MySQL
user table.  The problem is that the entry 'host=localhost' and
'user='' is more specific than the above.

Fix:

grant all priviliges on *.* to pthomsen@localhost identified by
'password' with grant option;

or remove the entry with user='' from the mysql.user table.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Problems Creating a new userPer Reedtz Thomsen11 Oct
  • Re: Problems Creating a new usersinisa12 Oct
  • Problems Creating a new userMichael Widenius12 Oct
    • Re: Problems Creating a new userThimble Smith12 Oct
      • Re: Problems Creating a new userMichael Widenius13 Oct
        • Re: Problems Creating a new userThimble Smith13 Oct
Re: Problems Creating a New UserChristopher Hicks13 Oct
  • Re: Problems Creating a New UserMichael Widenius14 Oct