List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 12 1999 1:37pm
Subject:Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?
View as plain text

Matthias> Hi,
Matthias> Leif Thuresson:
>> I'm having problem with MySQL server hanging. I'm running MySQL
>> 3.22.26a on a dual pentium II ASUS-P2B-DS motherboard with
>> slackware 4.0 (linux kernel version 2.2.12).
Matthias> [...]
>> Slackware 4.0 uses libc5.4.46 and linuxthreads-0.71.

Matthias> Get glibc 2.1.2. Install it. Or even better, get a reasonable Linux
Matthias> distribution and install _that_.

Matthias> Libc5 is _ancient_, has more bugs in its pthread non-support (in a few
Matthias> other places too, for that matter) than anybody would care to count,
Matthias> and you're in severe danger of data corruption because it doesn't use
Matthias> reentrant code internally. It's been actively nonmaintained (its main
Matthias> author refuses to even think about documenting any bugs, much less
Matthias> fixing them -- he's working with the glibc people instead) for well
Matthias> over a year now.

Matthias> Monty, could you tell configure to disable native threads under Linux
Matthias> if the libc is libc.so.5? I don't think it's possible to get mysqld to
Matthias> work in that kind of environment.

Hi!

The problem is that MySQL will not work without a Posix library, so
it isn't that easy to fix this.  In any case, linuxthreads is better
than mit-pthreads on Linux, so we don't have that many options here.

The best I can do is to add some documentation that if one uses
Slackware 4.0, one should upgrade to glibc 2.1 before starting to use
MySQL under heavy use or if one uses a dual pentium box.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Unknown Sender11 Oct
  • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Matthias Urlichs11 Oct
    • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Michael Widenius12 Oct
  • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Unknown Sender13 Oct
  • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Van13 Oct
  • Changing already existing fields in a table ?√ėyvind Viken13 Oct
    • Re: Changing already existing fields in a table ?Jeff Urban13 Oct
    • Re: Changing already existing fields in a table ?Bob Kline13 Oct
  • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Roland Alder15 Oct
    • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?sinisa16 Oct
  • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Leif Thuresson14 Nov
    • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Christopher E. Brown15 Nov
      • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Leif Thuresson15 Nov
      • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Leif Thuresson15 Nov
        • Re: MySQL server hangs/linuxthreads & SMP problem ?Christopher E. Brown16 Nov