List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:January 14 2004 11:35am
Subject:Re: Newbie - from Oracle
View as plain text
Hi Ken,

> Oracle has "Dual" does MySql have something similar?

MySQL doesn't have a "dual" table. But if you take a look at the
"Dual" in Oracle, you'll only see this:

CREATE TABLE Dual (Dummy VARCHAR(1));
INSERT INTO Dual ('X');

So you can easily create one yourself.

> In Oracle I use SYSDATE and USER a lot as default column values when
> creating a table. Can you do something similar in MySql and how?

According to http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html
a DEFAULT is:
"A DEFAULT value has to be a constant, it cannot be a function or an
expression."

> Does MySql support sequences? How?

No, not as seperate objects. It does support an auto-inc type column.

> Relationships - can the code be interfered with or do I have to wait for
> triggers?

Foreign key constraints? Only available in the "InnoDB" table type.
Read the docs on that.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Thread
Newbie - from OracleKen Brown14 Jan
  • Re: Newbie - from OracleMartijn Tonies14 Jan