List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tobias Asplund Date:January 14 2004 8:35am
Subject:Re: why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?
View as plain text
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, EP wrote:

> I am wondering:
>
> I can see the MySQL data files for my various databases.
>
> What technically prevents me from simply copying those files and using copies
> - to move my database to another file structure or server
> - to back-up my current db

Copying will not work across certain versions, will also not work between
system archtechtures, port to other RDBMS or if you do not have physical
access to the files.

For the cases above mysqldump works fine.

cheers,
Tobias
Thread
Importing a dumpfileMatthew Stuart14 Jan
  • Re: Importing a dumpfileDaniel Kasak14 Jan
  • Re: Importing a dumpfileDouglas Sims14 Jan
  • Re: Importing a dumpfileRoger Baklund14 Jan
    • why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?EP14 Jan
      • Re: why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?Dan Nelson14 Jan
      • Re: why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?Tobias Asplund14 Jan
      • Re: why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?Daniel Kasak14 Jan