List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Kasak Date:January 14 2004 2:38am
Subject:Re: Importing a dumpfile
View as plain text
Matthew Stuart wrote:

> Right having just got to grips with the mysqldump command, I would
> like to be able to know how to import the database back in to MySQL
> should anything happen to my PC.
>
> Does mysqlimport have to be done in the command line window like
> mysqldump, and if so, how? It's just that I tried to import stating
> terminated, enclosed, escaped, etc and by the time I had come to list
> the db name to import in to and the path to the file I wish to import,
> the window wouldn't let me type anymore. Why? Did it get as bored as I
> did?
>
> What syntax do you people out there use?
>
> Mat

I just use the mysql client, eg to restore a full dump:

mysql < backup_file.sql -p      ( hit enter and type password )

or to restore a single database:

mysql -p       ( hit enter and type password )
create database my_new_database;
exit
mysql my_new_database < backup_file.sql -p     ( hit enter and type
password )

Or you can edit the backup file and insert a:

use name_of_database

at the top.

You may need to turn off foreign key constraint checking first: |SET
FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS=0 ( insert this into the dump file ).

Dan

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer

Importing a dumpfileMatthew Stuart14 Jan
  • Re: Importing a dumpfileDaniel Kasak14 Jan
  • Re: Importing a dumpfileDouglas Sims14 Jan
  • Re: Importing a dumpfileRoger Baklund14 Jan
    • why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?EP14 Jan
      • Re: why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?Dan Nelson14 Jan
      • Re: why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?Tobias Asplund14 Jan
      • Re: why: mysqldump and mysqlimport?Daniel Kasak14 Jan